Milntown, in Lezayre, is the Island’s most historic estate and boasts 15 acres of beautiful gardens and woodland which surround the magnificent mansion and cafe at its heart.
The Milntown Estate was originally created when Deemster John McCrystyn (1511-1535) merged his Altadale Estate in Glen Auldyn with an adjoining estate and renamed the complete holding Milntown.It was owned by successive generations of the McCrystyn, or Christian, family until the death of William Bell Christian in 1886. At that point, facing bankruptcy, ownership passed to the Phoenix Assurance Company Ltd. The estate extended to almost 500 acres and much of this had to be sold off including neighbouring Sky Hill, the site of the famous Viking battle in 1079.Ramsey Golf Club and Ramsey Grammar School occupy land that was once part of the Milntown Estate which originally stretched as far as Ramsey.For a time the house was used as a girls’ school, a hotel and then it returned to being a private residence for Mr & Mrs Yates or Yates’ Wine Lodge fame.In 1963 the estate was bough by Lady Kathleen Edwards and by then it consisted of the present 15 acres. Milntown is now owned and managed by the Milntown Trust established by Sir Clive Edwards, son of Lady Edwards, on his death in 1999.
Private tours for groups of between 15 and 20 people can be arranged. Please phone the estate office on 01624 812321 for further information and booking.The Café is open from 10am until 5pm, with last orders being 4.30pm. We do a variety of Hot Meals, Light Bites, Cakes and Coffees. Set in a purpose built conservatory, the restaurant has wonderful views of both the walled garden and the famous Winchester gates.Events, Weddings and Special Functions can be catered for all year round. Whether it be a Marquee event in the grounds, or a small private party in the old Milntown Dining Room, it can be designed to suit your requirements.
For bookings and enquiries, please contact us on 812321.We hope you will come and visit us soon.